Monday, October 19, 2009

Communications 101

I thoroughly enjoy my Communications class. Let me give you the rundown... it's a class of about 35 students in which only 10 of us do NOT live on campus. So, the majority of the students are the traditional, young adults that are either still living at home or have just moved away from home and now live on the meal plan for nutrition. They thrive on donuts for breakfast, a nice lunch in the dining hall ,and then pizza or whatever they can scrounge up for dinner.

This class is held in one of the older buildings on campus. It's very "old-school"... you can still see all of the air ducts in the 14 foot ceiling(which have been painted to orange or blue), it smells like an old house attic, tile for floors, and all of the desks are very small and make a lot of noise. The technology is that of the 80's... a tv with VCR on a huge cart, a pull down screen that can never go back up and an overhead projector that allows the instructor to display things on the wall in a crooked manner.

Today, I gave my informative speech. I chose the topic of "some of the the affects that meth has on newborns". I am able to speak at Dylan's school, do really well when it comes to PTA meetings, or leading workshops at Jumpstart for a group of parents but when it came to delivering this speech in front of these young adults and my instructor (who happens to 1/2 my age), I was quite shaky. I was sweating, trembling and could hardly breathe. So then what... just pray!!! I want to be an example for other students and to not be afraid to speak about something that I have a passion for... well, I did it! I think most of them found it to be entertaining and not too boring. I can't wait to see my score, hopefully... an A+... YAY!!!

Remember, I wrote this speech the day it was assigned as to my fellow classmates that jotted down a few things the night before it was due. I spent several hours carefully researching the stats that I needed including doing an interview with a social worker from the IDHW, instead of hoping the instructor wouldn't look up my "fake" resources. I also had my visual aids professionally printed and mounted as to not bring in anything or just accepting the deduction or better yet, a semi-skewed picture that was printed from the library from a website that didn't really go with my speech.

Like I said at the beginning, I love my Communications class and all of my classes. I have learned to get over a few social phobias that I have and learn to enjoy the crowded surroundings with other people that have a LOT of bodily function issues... lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment