Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!



Halloween is such a "unique" time of year. There are so many things happening all at the same time. It's officially "fall", which is my favorite season, we can wear big slippers around the house and noone cares and then there is this "holiday" thrown into the middle of parent/teacher conferences, mid-term time and I won't even mention the pressure of the costumes.

We carved pumpkins tonight. Why? I'm not sure. I think it was a really fun family time for me and the kiddos and definitely cheap entertainment. Last year, the kids were really small and we didn't carve pumpkins, this year.... well, since they are both in school asked me, "when is it pumpkin carving time?" so we did.

Dylan has major tactile issues and even though he's very "into" it, he doesn't like to touch things that are slimy. He did ask to touch "the guts" with a spoon but doesn't have the dexterity or strength to do anything except pull one seed out at a time... wow, this is almost"painful"?

We had no rhyme or reason to the faces. I actually drew about 10 different eyes, nose and mouths and just asked them to point to which one they wanted their pumpkins to have. Cece seem to be more of a "smiley" personality when Dylan just wanted "scary guy". I don't think I was able to carve them for any type of contest but as far as the kids go, they loved them.

After the "slashing" of the pumpkins, we washed, soaked and toasted the pumpkin seeds. They were amazing... I've never really had them turn out but was a little more patient this year and roasted some really good "beans"; that's what Cece calls them.

A costume was easy for Dylan, he's wanted to be a football player for a long time and since "Jumpstart" donated a costume for him, well it was a given. Cece has changed her mind so many times that I give up. Originally, I was going to make Dyl a player, Cece a cheerleader and me the coach. Cece now has decided that she can't make it through this season without being a ladybug.

I knew I had some red fabric and black felt, so I w
as able to add a little batting, put her in black leggings and we had a hit! She is a smiling ladybug and very thrilled.

It always seems like Halloween comes up really quick but then I remember it's only 6 weeks until Christmas. "Holy Buckets", I just put away the red, white and blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment