Sunday, October 25, 2009

Zero Hero


As I have stated many times, I have been given the opportunity to be Dylan's at home "art mom" and am loving it. This week, I made 40 "Zero Hero" puppets for his classroom. I have no idea what they are for. Actually for this project I wasn't given anything except a picture and asked to make them them by Wednesday.

So Dylan and I had a lot of fun "bonding" over this one. We talked about the face and what makes up your face. I would sew the cheeks on one and then ask him what parts were missing. I asked him what he thought of his new Zero Hero pal... his only response was, "does he have a dog? I don't like dogs."

Dylan was born addicted to meth. He has several disabilities that are challenging to both of us on a daily basis. He has hydrocephalus, which is extra fluid on the brain, was born with congenital club feet which after 14 surgeries on his legs, he is now able to walk... somewhat. He had a tethered spinal column, spina bifida, a right eye displacement, paralyzed on his right side and only a 1/3 of his brain.

I was told that at birth his pediatrician didn't recommend circumcision because he wasn't going to make it through the week. That he would never walk or talk. He most likely would never eat and breathe at the same time which would leave him needing a feeding tube for life. When he began to smile and coo, the doctor said it was just a response but not a reaction to any kind of stimuli, that he didn't have the brain capacity to mimic people around him.

Dylan, is my "Zero Hero". Right now, He walks... most of the time, talks a LOT, has 20/20 vision. He's never had a feeding tube and eats very well. His hydrocephalus is controlled by a shunt that goes from his head down to his abdomen. He is gaining more strength on his right side, daily. He will independently use his right arm, when cued. Actually, today was the first day that I could tell Dylan to "get dressed" and he did it all by himself... it only took about 47 minutes, but that's not the point, right?

His pediatrician will often call and ask about Dylan and then remind me that he no longer puts any limitations on patients because of the progress Dyl has made totally on his own. He also has a picture of Dylan on his desk which is a double-fold holding a picture of Dylan at birth and current picture that we send often.

When it comes to my Zero Hero, it's definitely Dylan because it's "NOTHING" (or 0) that will stop him. Thank you, Jesus... every day for saving this lil' guy for me. He's the reason I believe, the reason I accept, and the reason that I know my life could always be a lot worse, at least I wasn't born addicted to a lethal substance and still showed everyone around me how to smile.

2 comments:

  1. Very good. I didn't know that you were a cancer survivor. You really are inspiring.I really enjoyed FB chatting with you the other week. I know that I will enjoy reading your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are amazing aren't they. My daughter is special in many ways and has been a challenge but she is also my great joy. I love that girl so much. I wasn't sure she would walk, she finally did at 2 1/2. I thought she would never jump and she does. The talking is coming very slowly. Just today she gave us the peace sign, which is new. We must just love them and encourage them. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete